Sunday 20 February 2011

The Last Supper...

It is with great heaviness of heart that I write this entry.

After days of meticulously planning what I would eat this last week, making sure no craving was left unsatisfied, the day of all days arrived. The grand finale of food... I had plans for today. Big plans...

My last lunch was to be a Big Tasty with bacon meal with orange juice and a cherry pie from McDonald's. I took a cursory look in the bag... Everything seemed in order. Why is it that when I arrive home and open the box there is NO BACON in my burger! To make things worse, I reach into the bag for my cherry pie, only it had been replaced with 'air pie'. I call up the restaurant, stating my complaint about the missing bacon and pie, to be told they will replace my whole meal free of charge. I felt my eyes stinging with tears. I couldn't tell the attendant that I would not be able to eat again for the next four months. I mumbled thanks for the good will gesture, gave her my details for my future 'freebie' and hung up... At least I had dinner to look forward to.

Yes dinner... Mmmmmm. I was cooking my favourite childhood dish, Ackee and corn pork, boiled dumplings, yam and green bananas. I have been dreaming about this ALL week. Today I drove around the whole city looking for just the right yam and the perfect bananas. I got home, I lovingly kneaded the flour. You know that the dumplings are going to be perfect when they leave the bowl clean- no excess flour, not too sticky, neither too firm or too soft. Just perfect dough.  Whilst the banana skins were a little resistant to being removed they looked beautiful. The soft white yam glistened as it slipped into the pot. Today was going to be a good day. I sauteed the onions and scotch bonnet pepper. Put a sliced tomato in and cooked until just the skin was visible in the pot. Added the fried cubes of pork, then the ackee, some sliced escallion, crushed black peeper, a sprig of thyme and left to simmer.

I went upstairs just to check a few messages and emails, I don't know how much time elapsed between me going up stairs and returning to the kitchen however when I did something seemed strange, the aroma that I was expecting was replaced with a slightly acrid smell. Yes, My akee and corn pork had burned. I opened my mouth to scream... No sound, just silence. Now I really wanted to cry, no cow bawl. But I was taught that you should never cry over food. I seriously cannot express my disappointment. I was planning to take a picture of it to show to the good folk of cyberville, but my dish had the look of something only a mother could love.

I couldn't even eat the desert I got- rhubarb crumble with custard and a dollop of lightly whipped double cream. Instead I ended up eating a strip of Galaxy cookie crisp chocolate and three Haribos washed down with a glass of chardonnay.

Maybe the catalogue of catastrophes was a good thing. Its actually making me look forward to the porridge, soups and shakes that I'll be living on for the next few months. At least they wont disappoint. I know they will taste like crap.

Oh well, I'm signing off.

Until next time

Sonja-Lee xx

3 comments:

  1. Oh no lol! Maybe God was preparing you for the weeks ahead. This post is too funny but equally annoying. I can imagine how you must be feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol u r too funny Sonja I will have u know im embarking on a similar journey myself only with me its with lighter life. Good luck gal will keep edging u on if u do the same for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Chichi- it was really bad. I went into shock!

    @ Jaylo- Thanks hun. I'm behind you all the way xx

    ReplyDelete