Friday 18 February 2011

"Hey Fattie Bum Bum, sweet sugar dumpling..."

Carl Malcolm's ode to the Rubenesque woman is a song that any child growing up in a West Indian household in the 70s/80s would know very well, especially if they happened to have a little puppy fat. I was that child.

I have never had a problem with the word fat, I find it is an accurate adjective, so I couldn't understand the furor surrounding the name of my blog. "Why are you defining yourself in cyber world as a fat chic?" Um, because I am one in the real world.... Well for now anyway. I personally am not affected by the negative connotations that go with the title 'fat'. I always say to people, don't get it twisted me being fat does not negate the fact that I am HOT! I dress to compliment my figure which is in proportion, good proportions at that ;-) and I consider myself to be a stylish chic... As my Naija brethren would say "My sista you pack it well-oo!"

Two months ago I went on one of those scales that measure body fat and to my surprise 48% of my body, according to this machine was FAT. 48%!!! More worryingly my visceral fat count ie fat around my internal organs was measured at 12, just 3 points away from me being a walking heart disease riddled, diabetic hypertensive stroke victim! But do you think that stopped me or challenged me to change my lifestyle... No, because I still looked cute in my clothes.

So what made me want to commit to changing my life...

Exhibit A



I would like to introduce to you my partner in crime, lets call her 'Songbird'. We used to eat deserts together... even if it was for lunch and indulged in "Treat Friday" contraband substances:- chocolates, crisps sweets and such the like, sometimes everyday of the week. Now I haven't posted this picture to expose her, not at all, as she on a healthy eating/ exercise tip now and doing quite well... No this picture was taken the night my life got turned upside down.

We were at an event, bubbling to 90's tunes.  As I was reminiscing, whilst doing the 'Pepper Seed'* to 'When I see you smile' in my 6 inch heels (I'm very short) my leg went funny... I seemed to have developed an acute case of 'lock jaw inna mi knee'! I could barely walk but I had to style it out as I sashayed to my car in great pain.  The next day I couldn't event wear heels to Church, which quite frankly was an aberration. My knees were actually inflamed. Anything other than flats was an impossibility.

This happened last Saturday and was my wake up call to do something different. I had never felt the physical effects of me being big before. As I said previously, I look good in my clothes and I cant see my visceral fat so the dangers of that hadn't registered with me. However the thought of not being able to walk/ dance properly or worse yet WEAR HEELS was the slap in the face that I needed. So here I am...

Its not long now til Monday and you know what? I'm actually looking forward to it. By the way, I didn't do the 3D body scan  as the place closed early, so I'll be getting it done on Monday. Still not sure if I'll be brave enough to post result on here though...

Until next time

Sonja-Lee xx

*Pepper seed- a 90s Jamaican dance move

8 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the read lol- journey well my dear.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh bwoy. LOL. Whatever it takes to get to a place of healthy. You look absolutely gorgeous in exhibit A! Keep on keepin' on, babe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had better go and check my body mass out too...your analysis scares me. All the best with the diet...looking forward to reading of/seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you the very best in your journey to a slimmer you. Maybe reading your progress will give me the nudge i also need. All the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Mel- I know I had you at 'pepper seed' Lol! Re exhibit A... One tries Dahhhhhrling, one tries :-D

    @ Anoda- You really should, I was quite shocked, but evidently not enough... Its about getting healthier tho, which is ultimately my aim. Looking forward to gettin to know ya...

    @ Evee- Thanks hun. Dont delay start today :-) Keep dropping by tho, your comments encougage me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Monday tomorrow so I guess right about now you are tucking into your 'last supper'!

    Here's wishing you every success in your weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonja how come I wasn't invited to the Party.... Good luck my dear friend,,, in with you all the way!!! Bee

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Thewordsmythe, You were almost correct... Funnily enough that's the name of my post. Great minds eh? I'm looking forward to starting. Thanks for your support xx

    @ Bee- Hun, was I even invited. I was the Gate-crasher extraordinaire! The celebrant had a 'Do I know you' look all night! Thanks tho hun, sign up properly sha xx

    ReplyDelete